Tonight, November 2, 2022, the VHA North Area will be hosting “Secure in Your Home” at the First Responders Recreation Center, an informational program for residents living north of Highway 466. There will be speakers from The Villages Public Safety Department, Marion County Fire Rescue, Community Watch, Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), and the sheriffs’ offices from Marion, Lake, and Sumter Counties.
This event is geared toward the specific issues of the North Area, where all three counties – Sumter, Marion, and Lake – meet. Although all the fire/rescue services and all the law enforcement agencies have similar tasks, they often have different terminology or job titles, so it’s important for our North Area residents to learn from their own counties.
Doors will open at 6:30 so residents can gather flyers and goodies from these organizations, and the presentations will begin promptly at 7:00 PM. After the talks, the tables will again be open for individual questions and to gather whatever was missed beforehand. First Responders is not a regional center, so seating is limited.
Programs like “Secure in Your Home” are a big part of what The VHA is all about. We work to provide Villages residents with the straight scoop on how things work, what’s going on, and how to best enjoy this wonderful community. Other valuable VHA programs include:
- New Resident Night – a monthly program with valuable info about how to life in The Villages.
- Golf Cart Safety – monthly clinic about The Villages’ unique, golf cart community transportation system and how to navigate it safely.
- Helping Hands – free loan program of Durable Medical Equipment.
- Quarterly Town Hall – where we address questions and concerns with a panel of local leaders in public safety, government, recreation, community standards, and more.
- Foundation Committee – which gives grants to volunteer organizations that benefit and impact our community for the greater good.
And MEMBERS ONLY PROGRAMS SUCH AS:
- Cutting the Cord – learning to live without cable
- An Evening with the Developer – getting an annual firsthand review/preview
- Where Your Money Goes – explaining amenity and maintenance fees
- Relevant Seminars – based on current concerns and beneficial topics
We advocate on behalf of our members, provide monthly VHA Bingo and other periodic social events, plus provide philanthropic services. We are totally volunteer run. Nobody gets a salary. But we do a lot of good.
If you’re already a member, thank you, and don’t forget to renew your membership when it comes up. If you’re not, we strongly urge you to not only join, but also check the box to volunteer. We need neighborhood representatives, folks to help Helping Hands distribute durable medical equipment, people to usher at large VHA events, and other useful tasks. Go to the www.thevha.net to sign up.
Karl Arps, Vice President
(920) 285 – 1382