VHA Helping Hands – President’s Message (July 2021)
Helping Hands - July 2021
As Mr. Rogers would say “It’s a wonderful day in the neighborhood”. Yes, and it is true here in The Villages. You, the residents of Florida’s Friendliest Hometown, make it so. Through your generous donations of equipment and cash you make The VHA Helping Hands Neighbor Helping Neighbor program a place for people to reach out to when they are in need of Durable Medical Equipment (DME). Most of all, let me not forget to thank the volunteers of Helping Hands; without them we would not have had the opportunity to take over 3,000 calls in the first 6 months of this year and assist those in need of DME.
As we work to meet the needs of our community at times we must stop and look at the needs of our organization. You, our community, have always stepped up and assisted us in meeting those needs. So, I am asking for your help. If you can assist, these are our primary concerns:
- Office volunteers on Mondays. Primary task is to meet the residents in need of DME and complete the computer paperwork required to keep records of that equipment. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel would be a great help and be available a couple Mondays a month for two hours in performing this task.
- Drivers to shuttle equipment from storage to the office Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Good driving record required and repetitive lifting of equipment up to 40 lbs. in and out of Helping Hands Van.
- VHA Helping Hands currently uses Office 365 products, primarily Excel, to keep records of transactions. We are looking for someone who could assist us in building a database within Office 365 and Access.
- For our residents, the phone line remains open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The equipment request line is (352) 973-2284. Leave a message if we fail to answer. We will return your call.
- We now have an email address for those wishing to use email rather than call in your request. That email is email@example.com When using this service leave your name, phone number, and equipment you are requesting. We will respond to your request.
- Requested equipment can be picked up, or returning equipment can be dropped off at our office, Monday thru Friday between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- All returned equipment should remain outside the door until sanitized by office staff. If possible, please have your ticket number or copy of your receipt when returning equipment. That will expedite the return process.
- Our location is 1104 Main Street. ½ block from the Spanish Springs Town Square in the breezeway next to Kilwin’s Ice Cream, Fudge and Chocolates.
In closing, we can always use more volunteers who might consider joining our team. Call us at 352-973-2284, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
VHA Helping Hands is a not-for-profit corporation (501 c3) recognized by the laws of the state of Florida.
God Bless, stay safe and thanks for the opportunity to serve.
The VHA Helping Hands, Inc.