The recent Highway Code changes are largely focused on ensuring the safety of cyclists and pedestrians. However, there is a growing concern that drivers are not getting the information they need about the new changes.
Please take at look at this informative guide, Share the Road: Cyclist & Pedestrian Safety Awareness for Drivers: https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/.
It covers everything drivers today need to be aware of:
- New changes to the Highway Code
- How to be considerate around cyclists, pedestrians, and horse riders
- What to do if there is an accident
Here are just some of the insights the guide offers:
- The Highway Code changes follow the Mayor of London’s pledge to eliminate all deaths and serious injuries that occur as a result of road traffic by 2041.
- The new rules state that you can cross a double white line (usually prohibited) in order to overtake a cyclist if they are going under 10 miles per hour, provided it is safe to do so.
- It is important to pay particular attention to these rules about overtaking, as overtaking led to a shocking 141 fatalities on British roads in 2020.