Bike Friendly Community Corner
Try this little quiz about bicycle and traffic knowledge that can keep you “Stayin’ Alive”. Whether you are on a bike, or any other type of vehicle, it’s good to know what the rules for safety are. Good Luck!
- What State are we in?
- This might seem obvious, but many of us travel across state lines so it is important to know that because the traffic rules for each state can be different. We follow the rules of the Great State of Florida.
- Is a bicycle considered a toy, vehicle, recreational vehicle, or nuisance?
- A bicycle is legally a A bicycle has all the same privileges and responsibilities as a motor vehicle.
- Which side of the road must a bicyclist ride on?
- In the direction of traffic and as close as practicable (safe) to the right side.
- When motorists pass a bicycle what is the minimum legal separation?
- Three (3) feet. A motorized vehicle may cross the double-yellow line temporarily to pass a bicyclist safely.
- When must a bicyclist display front/rear lights?
- From Sunset to Sunrise a bicyclist must display a white light visible at 500 feet as well as a red light and reflector visible at 600 feet.
- Are bike helmets required when riding?
- Bike helmets are mandatory by law for people under the age of 16. Helmets are required by policy for The Villages bike club rides, Camp Villages, and The Enrichment Academy.
- Is it legal for bicyclists to ride two abreast?
- Bicyclists may ride two abreast when not impeding traffic. Otherwise, it is single file. The Villages bike clubs’ policy is single file for club rides.
- Who has the right-of-way at an intersection or roundabout?
- Intersection – First Come-First Served. If Simultaneous arrival, then the right most vehicle. Roundabout – Traffic inside the roundabout.
- What is the legal sped limit for golf carts? Bicycles?
- Golf carts – 20 MPH. Street Legal Golf Carts – 25 MPH with stiff fines. Bicycles (Pedal Only) – Posted Speed Limit. E-Bikes – 28 MPH with pedal assist, throttle, and motor less than 750 watts.
- What is the legal age for driving a golf cart?
- Age14, although a driver license is not required. (Take heed grandparents.)
HOW DID YOU DO? HOPEFULLY 100%. STAY ALIVE!