Welcome back, seasonal residents. Yes, Helping Hands is open for business. I know many of you returned to your summer homes about the same time we closed our operations for a month due to Covid-19. All residents please note: With the virus in mind, we continue to make changes to meet the needs of both you and our volunteers during these trying times. I list these changes to better serve and keep our program open.
- Based on the needs of our residents the phone line remains open between the hours 8 am to 4 pm daily Monday thru Friday. The equipment request line is (352) 973-2284.
- Please leave a message if we fail to answer. We will return your call.
- We now have an email address for those wishing to use email rather than call-in requests. It is VHA.HELPINGHANDS.OFFICEMAIL@GMAIL.COM. When using this service please leave your name, phone number, and equipment you are requesting. We will respond to your request by phone within 24 hours.
- Requested or returning equipment can be picked up or dropped off at our office Monday thru Friday between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- All residents and staff will have their temperature checked and wear masks while conducting transactions
- All returned equipment should remain outside the door until sanitized by office staff.
I believe these simple procedures will keep both residents and volunteers safe, and our program open.
With our growth over the past few years to more than 6,000 transactions this past year, storage and transportation have become major obstacles we struggle with daily. We have over 800 pieces of equipment stored outside the Villages and need to transport equipment back and forth to our office daily. We have always used our private vehicles to transport equipment to and from homebound residents. We have had to suspend homebound services for the foreseeable future.
In closing, we can always use more volunteers who might consider joining our team.
Call (352) 973-2284