HAVE A PLAN:
Evacuate or stay in your home? You need to have a plan in place. If you are going to evacuate, know where you are heading. Lots of other people will be heading the same direction. If you are going to stay, do you have a “safe room” prepared in your home? How about a shelter? Register physically challenged or special needs individuals with The Villages Public Safety Department: 352-205-8280. The information will then be sent to the appropriate county Emergency Management office.
- Put together disaster and first-aid supply kits.
- Develop a plan for handling your pets!
- Store loose outdoor patio items and furniture.
- Prune trees of dead or weak branches.
- Place vital documents in waterproof containers.
- Remove and secure valuables in a safe location.
- Register physically challenged persons or individuals with special needs by contacting The Villages Public Safety Department at 352-205-8280.
- Become familiar with the area’s disaster plan and evacuation routes.
- Prepare “safe room” in your house.
- Establish a family meeting point and contact phone numbers.
- Make an inventory of your home’s contents: photos or video tape. Collectables need special attention!
- Check your insurance coverage. Is it adequate?
- Storing gasoline is not recommended! Make sure that your car has a full tank of gas.
- Develop a communication plan with relatives and friends now!
- Cash – get small bills.
- For more information visit: www.floridadisaster.org
DISASTER SUPPLIES KIT:
- Prescription medications
- Basic first-aid kit
- Cell phone, charger and fully charged battery
- Non-perishable food items
- Manual can opener and other utensils
- Plastic plates, dinnerware and cups
- Drinking water and containers
- Hand sanitizer, toiletries, hygiene supplies, toilet paper and paper towels
- Flashlight and BATTERIES
- Portable radio and BATTERIES
- Tarps: Heavy duty plastic or canvas
- Basic tool kit
- Trash bags
- Duct tape
- Variety of containers and lids
- Clothing and rain gear
- Cash – small bills
- For pets: Food, meds, leash, carrier, etc.